Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Pan's Labyrinth

Oh my gosh NOBODY TOLD ME IT WAS GOING TO BE THAT FREAKY OK? If you know me well enough you'd know that I absolutely LOATHE movies that have butchering, pain or weird scary beings popping out of nowhere. I get scared easily. Yes it's lame but I do. In retrospect I guess it's kinda funny. When Adam told me what it was all about 'Little girl, spanish war, escapes through her imagination' I imagined something completely different - Look, if I was a little girl trying to escape the horrors of war through my imagination I sure as heck would NOT be imagining huge scary creatures that have scary horns and saggy skin and eyeballs attached to their palms ok? What kind of stressful escapism is that? I was thinking more like butterflies, candy cane, rainbows and fairies - heck even the fairies in this movie are weird and they are morphed version of scary clacketty-clack stick insects that go clack-clack-CLAAACK CK CK CK. And the torture scenes were so stressful my heart was going to race out of my chest.

In all fairness though, a normal person would I think really enjoy the movie (I am abnormally jumpy). The two stories, war and fantasy are beautifully interwoven and the little girl who plays Ofelia is a very convincing actress. The film is in Spanish, a language which I quite love. Go watch it lah. IMDB readers gave it 8.5 heh heh.

And now I'm off to the Birdcage - a cabaret club in Manchester to shake off the jumpiness! Feather boas here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home