Saturday, August 25, 2007

I refuse to turn this into a food blog

It really scares me how MUCH I think of cooking - what to cook, how to cook it, what to put in it. Like today after badminton, I was thinking about the leftover wine a friend brought over for me had that has gone slightly vinegary as I kept forgetting to finish it after we opened it. Then my mind wandered to the half aubergine that I had in the fridge that would go brown in a few days time if I didn't eat it now.

What the heck was I going to do with bad wine and half an aubergine (i.e. brinjal to friends back home and eggplant to boyfriend) ?



I love these little shiny babies. Grilled with olive oil, pan fried or even coated with tempura batter and fried in oil, you name it, I've done it. They're just so yummy!

Then it hit me: I will make Pork and Aubergine Chasseur! With paella on the side. It was absolutely amazing. And ridiculously simple to make. The colours really go well together, the red chasseur sauce, bright yellow paella dotted with bits of red and green pepper, and of course both sides of the pork medallions were nicely browned on the pan. I think I went a bit overboard with the wine though. Eager to finish the bottle (I hate wasting) I literally drowned the pork medallions in wine. You can easily find recipes for chasseur sauce online. Traditionally, the French make chicken chasseur but I pork was on sale that day :). This is my version of it which is exactly how I like it!

The sauce:
1. Melt butter in a pan and add chopped onions
2. Scatter some flour into the pan (I know this is weird but it makes the sauce really yummy)
3. Stir well and add wine (I added half a bottle, and it was whooooooooooo strong, so maybe a little less would be just nice), tomato paste and bay leaves (VERY IMPORTANT) and parsley or coriander (I cheat heh heh, I use the dried coriander in a bottle).
4. Add some chicken stock, and add salt and pepper to taste. I also used the sauces that I got from the pan after frying the pork. Simmer, set aside.

Cooking instructions:

1. Season pork medallions with salt and pepper. The salt helps it the outside brown nicely with a slight crisp.
2. Heat olive oil in pan. Pan fry sliced aubergines and pork medallions. Pour sauce over pork and aubergines and let it simmer for a bit before serving with paella.

The paella:
Go to ASDA and buy a packet of quick cook paella. Quick cook it as instructed by packet. Heh heh. ASDA's packet paella is pretty good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home